Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ultraman 2010 Race Report Day Two Bike: 171 mi Volcanoes to Hawi


Day two started out in the middle of the night downing a couple Ensures/more Powerbars then back to sleep (I have done this for the past few IM races I have done and seem to work flawlessly with digestion come race morning). Upon getting up, I felt a little slow…weather at end of day one most likely culprit. But, the show must go on, therefore I dawned my trusty Kit(see through back bumper and all; for the Knapps group;) and made my way to the start area…about 10 min drive from the military base we were staying at on Volcanoes.

Once arriving, I settled on layers, 30 temps, including arm warmers and my cycling jacket which could be peeled once the 25mi descent was completed from Volcanoes to just above the Red Rd portion of the ride. The start was kind of anticlimactic…we all started in a group and bombed down 25 miles of slick pavement from a previous evenings all night rain. The descent went well, however I missed that “left turn at Albuquerque”;) the descent was soo fast and the course marked with just lil arrows at turns, I was like…shi#...I missed the turn and had to backtrack about a block uphill to get back on course. That is the only trouble with riding an open course that cover soo much territory…there is need for a lot of crew directing and prior knowledge of course or you undergo such calamity(my crew was not in this section as it was a nonsupport zone). After making my way back on course, I HTFU to a red-light with about 3-4 other riders…yes, you must obey traffic laws as this is not a closed course…messes with your race mode! Then onto a bypass section of the course where I greeted by pullover/pullover…wtf…as it turns out some locals were cheering and yelling from their cars and driving slowly next to another rider and I…the official is giving us the third degree that we can’t have our crew talking to us from a moving vehicle…I’m pleading my case and the Brazilian rider is a s well then luckily my crew comes rolling by dawning the 513 number and caution riders/runners banner on the back window and the official sees it and lets me go(no penalty).

Now, I’m frazzled, it takes me a few miles to settle in then bam I drop a chain on a minor climb…wtf…it pops back on then I’m descending into the Red Rd portion of the ride(a nonsupport area; about 40miles into the ride). Here it is a scenic ride along the coast…beautiful, but slow with rollers (no crews allowed; locals don’t like the traffic on the two lane rd). Once out of here and dropping a few riders and seeing only one ahead of me; I used him to pace me out of the rd…then dropped him…of which turned out to be the last time I would see another rider all day…the rest of the ride was done solo. Nutrition went well all day…thanks to my crew for endless support…intake consisted of powerbars/shotblox/Ensure/Gator/Gels…pretty much alternating on the :30s with solids and liquids on the :15s…no lows today!


From the Red Rd, came an interesting ride to Hilo town. You had to make your way through a mall area…back on the bypass and there were a series of 8 lights…ahh made the first few, but did not fare so well with the middle few…waited there for what felt like an eternity with mega Black Friday traffic. Once through the lights, I made my way into Hilo...one word…Beautiful (definitely would like to go back and check this area out). This section takes you through a resort area, along the waterfront then over the “singing bridge” which is a metal grate bridge (accident observed here while I was riding. It turns out; it was the massage crew who were rear-ended (all ok). Then onto 19…in hindsight this road is NEVERENDING. It climbed all day…about 60 miles of climbing from Hilo to Waima town. And within this area there are the “three gulches” which all drop rapidly bend to the left then right and present a steep climb. The first two were more challenging than the last. Once past these in my mind, I thought I would be moving…think again (I drove this section a couple days ago, but it was nightfall before getting here…so much for impressions…the climbing went on and on…finally after seeing signs for Waimea town 15 miles I knew I was home free as I rode the last section Monday afternoon…it consists of the Kohala Mtn pass and a bombing descent into Hawi. But, another accident lurked a head. Luckily, my crew saw this and supplied me with some bottles prior as I did not see them till after my ascent on the Kohala pass. Once into Waimea town it’s a fast few miles to the Pass. Once on to the Pass, I steadily plowed through and then saw Jay and Tyler my crew pass me asking if I needed anything. All was well, and I was now going to fly to the finish. This last section is fun…speeds in excess of 50mph are achieved. Just had to look out for that hard left hand turn into Hawi...there it was and then there was the finish line.

Bang Day two 172 mile ride done and done. Off to massage, then banged out half of a pizza then later that night ate the other half and settled into bed. Oh, this night was spent at an Organic retreat…quite the experience with bungalows and outdoor showers (like Gilligan’s island). Didn’t quite care just wanted to rest for tomorrow’s Double!


The “Double” coming soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment